Join Us in Standing Up For Seniors
August 12, 2014
Erika Kelly, Chief Advocacy Officer, Meals on Wheels Association of America
The Meals On Wheels Association of America is pushing to reauthorize the Older Americans Act (OAA), the federal legislation that allows for nutritious meals to be delivered to 2.5 million seniors every year.
The OAA is a vital safety net, enabling over 5,000 local Meals on Wheels programs to deliver meals and critical safety checks, giving seniors and their loved ones the nutrition and peace of mine they need to live at home independently.
Supporting the OAA also makes economic sense. When we do what’s right for our seniors by investing in programs like Meals on Wheels it benefits us all, saving taxpayer dollars by keeping our seniors out of nursing homes and preventing unnecessary hospital admissions and readmissions paid through Medicaid and Medicare.
Join us in telling Congress to pass a bipartisan OAA reauthorization bill, increase funding for these programs and protect them from another round of sequestration cuts in 2016. We need your voices to ensure that Meals on Wheels programs are able to continue to serve millions of seniors and help them to live the nourished and independent lives that they deserve.
Use the advocacy tools below to help you get started, or visit www.mowaa.org/OAA to learn more.
- Reauthorize, Fund & Protect Postcards – These were designed for our Members to easily print in-house, cut them apart and hand directly to Members of Congress when visiting their programs.
- Older Americans Act Flyer – This 8.5 x 11 flyer provides more emotional, compassionate messaging about the Older Americans Act. It can easily be printed in-house and/or shared on social media.
- “Dear Congress” Social Media Images – These images were created to be shared across all social media channels.
- Template Letter and Phone Script for Supporters – These templates can be shared with supporters, organizations, staff and/or volunteers who are looking to advocate on behalf of hungry seniors.
- Issue Summary & Talking Points– This document includes facts and messaging regarding senior hunger and the ROI for Meals on Wheels
- State-by-State Senior Hunger Fact Sheets – These include national and state-by-state information about Older Americans Act Nutrition Programs and senior hunger.