Elanco Employees Team Up to End the Cycle of Hunger
November 20, 2014
Noel S. Paul, Global Leader – Corporate Responsibility, Elanco Animal Health
What a difference one day can make in communities around the globe! On October 2, 2014, Elanco team members joined forces to support Elanco’s Global Day of Service. Across the company, employees engaged their passion, energy and collaborative spirit to advance the company’s commitment to food security in communities around the world.
Just how much can be achieved in a single day? The numbers are inspiring.
- More than 1,400 employees worldwide participated in Elanco’s Global Day of Service activities. Their combined efforts surpassed 5,000 volunteer hours.
- Collectively, Elanco employees participated in more than 80 projects organized at over 25 unique locations in 15 countries.
- 25,811 eggs were donated thru local egg donation drives in France and Italy.
- Over 3,500 liters of milk (~1,000 gallons) were donated thru local milk drives in Spain and Brazil.
Elanco’s Global Day of Service fostered a spirit of unity that spanned every region of the company and involved employees from all departments and work groups. The day provided an opportunity for all employees to come together on a single day to address food security in their local communities.
While food security is a global cause at Elanco, teams focused their Global Day of Service projects to address needs in their local communities. Following are just a few highlights from the day’s activities around the globe:
- In Clinton, Ind., Elanco employees supported a wellness and hunger initiative that raised more than $5,000.
- In Turkey, over 100 orphans were fed and taught the important role protein plays in human health and development.
- In the Philippines, over 300 typhoon victims not only received food but also participated in training on vegetable farming practices to create a sustainable food supply. They also received education on diabetes awareness and prevention
- In Vietnam, meals were packed for cancer patients and homeless children in the city of Ho Chi Minh.
Beyond the Global Day of Service, Elanco employees engage in food security initiatives throughout the year. Community-based service engagement helps team members apply their knowledge and skills to their local environments, while learning new ways of looking at problems faced by communities in various regions. As part of its ongoing cause to create food secure communities, Elanco employees have committed to the following initiatives.
- Breaking the cycle of hunger in100 communities: Elanco is committed to “Break the Cycle” of hunger in 100 global communities by 2017.
- Heifer International strategic partnership: Elanco is partnering with Heifer International to develop solutions that bring people out of hunger in a sustainable manner.
- 100,000 volunteer hours by 2017. All Elanco employees may use a half day per quarter to volunteer with a local hunger project. The cumulative hours represented by each Elanco employee’s half day of service each quarter will reach 100,000 volunteer hours by 2017.
Since Elanco and its parent company, Eli Lilly and Company, launched its Global Day of Service in 2008, employees have given 625,000 hours of service to communities around the world. The initiative shows what a single, coordinated effort can do to improve the communities where employees live and work. Learn more about opportunities to support Elanco’s commitment to achieving a food-secure tomorrow at www.enoughmovement.com. Information on Elanco’s commitment to break the cycle of hunger is available at https://www.elanco.com/enriching-lives/our-cause/default.aspx.
Below: Elanco employees teamed up to make a difference at various activities during the company’s Global Day of Service on October 2.