Market Forces: Creating Jobs through Public Investment in Local and Regional Food Systems reviews recent research on these systems and their economic effects. The report, detailing economic benefits of Farmers Markets and other local food outlets, recommends the following policy changes:
- Increase funding for programs that support local and regional food systems.
- Raise the level of research on the impacts of local and regional food systems.
- Restructure the safety net and ensure credit accessibility for local food system farmers.
- Foster local capacity to help implement local and regional food system plans.
- Support the realization of farmers market certification standards.