The Indy Hunger Network is a guiding coalition of representatives of all major food providers and leading anti-hunger organizations, both public and private in Indianapolis including the Interfaith Hunger Initiative, Gleaners Food Bank, Second Helpings (Food Rescue), Central Indiana Council on Aging, the Marion County Health Department, The Indiana Department of Education), Indiana Family & Social Service Administration (SNAP, TEFAP, etc), the Director of Front Porch Alliance at City of Indianapolis, Indy Parks, Meals on Wheels, Elanco (Eli Lilly’s animal health business), and the Indianapolis 211 organization.
We have active projects to:
- Expand Gleaners BackSack program from 2 counties and 3000 children(May 2010) to 21 counties and 10,000 children by May 2012,
- To expand Breakfast in the Classroom,
- To increase the number of children utilizing the Summer Food Service Program ( 31% increase in lunch from 2010-11) by promotion and researching and eliminating barriers to participation,
- To strengthen the largest client choice pantries, and
- To increase 211 awareness. Projects in the planning phase include improving volunteer experiences, etc.