About The Library

Welcome to the Hunger Free Communities Network’s online resource library! This ever growing database serves as a one-stop shop and home base for anti-hunger organizers featuring toolkits, case studies, research, online tools, community plans and other resources generated by the Alliance to End Hunger, our national partners and hunger free community coalitions across the country.
This is a user-driven tool, so feel free to rate resources and leave a comment! Also, please submit your own resources, so we can share your good ideas with others.


How To Search The Library

  1. Keyword Search: To run a keyword search, simply type the word(s) or phrase(s) you’re looking for into the box on the top right of the page (e.g. USDA, child hunger) and click “submit.”
  2. Category Search: To run a category search, use the drop-down menus to the right of the page under the heading “Resource Library Search” to select your desired search topic(s) and click “submit”. This search will yield more results if you limit your selections to one drop-down menu (e.g. “Content Type” or “Activity”). For an explanation of the categories, please click the orange “?” symbol next to the heading for each drop-down menu.

When the search results appear, click on the title of the resource for a more detailed description of that resource. There you’ll be able to directly access the resource.


Featured Resources

The Self-Assessment Workbook (SAW): The goal of the SAW is to assist a HFC coalition in determining for itself the critical elements for effective organizational management and network functioning and to identify those areas in need of strengthening or further development.  The SAW is designed to enable organizational learning, foster team sharing, and encourage reflective self-assessment within an anti-hunger coalition.  It can be used for strategic planning, evaluation and building group cohesion.

The Advocacy Playbook: The Advocacy Playbook is the Alliance to End Hunger’s signature advocacy toolkit and resource. It helps make the case for why advocacy a good idea and provides guidance on how your coalition or organization can help the cause.

Toolkit for Developing and Strengthening Hunger Free Community Coalitions: This provides a step-by-step guide for building coalitions, plus it gives best practices examples from the field, ideas for implementation, and practical tools. We hope it serves as a jumping off point for your local community’s efforts to find a solution to food insecurity.


National School Lunch Program

By United States Department of Agriculture

This document is produced by the USDA and answers questions such as: What is the National School Lunch Program? How does the National School Lunch Program work? What are the nutritional requirements for school lunches? How do children qualify for free and reduced price meals? How much reimbursement do schools get? What other support do...

Read More

Smart Snacks in School

By United States Department of Agriculture

USDA recently published practical, science-based nutrition standards for snack foods and beverages sold to children at school during the school day. The standards, required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, will allow schools to offer healthier snack foods to children, while limiting junk food. The health of today’s school environment continues to improve....

Read More

Hunger in America 2014 – Executive Summary

By Feeding America

Hunger in America is a series of quadrennial studies that provide comprehensive demographic profiles of people seeking food assistance through the charitable sector and in-depth analyses of the partner agencies in the Feeding America network. It is the largest study of its kind. The data collected help guide the development of programs and solutions that...

Read More

WIC Participant and Program Characteristics 2012 – Final Report

By United States Department of Agriculture

Like all biennial WIC PC reports since 1992, the 2012 report (PC2012) employs the prototype reporting system developed by FNS that uses participant information compiled from State WIC agencies. The reports, including PC2012, contain information on a census of WIC participants in April of the reporting year. For this report, 90 State WIC agencies submitted...

Read More

The National School Lunch Program Direct Certification Improvement Study: Main Report

By United States Department of Agriculture

The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) promotes the health and well-being of the Nation’s children and is one of the largest food and nutrition assistance programs in the United States. It provides nutritionally balanced lunches to more than 30 million children each school day, with free or reduced-price meals provided to income-eligible children.1 Eligible children...

Read More

Special Nutrition Program Operations Study: State and School Food Authority Policies and Practices for School Meals Programs School Year 2011-12

By Unites States Department of Agriculture

The Special Nutrition Program Operations Study (SN-OPS) is a multiyear study designed to provide the USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) with a snapshot of current state and School Food Authority (SFA) policies and practices and a baseline for observing the improvements resulting from the implementation of the HHFKA. The SN-OPS base-year activities involved collecting...

Read More

Food Insecurity in Households With Children: Prevalence, Severity, and Household Characteristics, 2010-11

By United States Department of Agriculture

An estimated 79 percent of households with children were food secure throughout the year in 2011, meaning that all the household members had consistent access to adequate food for active, healthy lives. The remainder (nearly 21 percent) were food insecure at some time during the year, including 10 percent in which children were food insecure...

Read More

Long-Term Benefits of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

By Executive Office of the President of the United States

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the cornerstone of U.S. efforts to alleviate hunger by supplementing the food budgets of low-income households. The large majority of SNAP recipients are children, working parents, elderly Americans, and people with disabilities. SNAP has also played an important role in lifting millions of people—especially children—out of poverty for...

Read More

Household Food Security in the United States in 2010

By United States Department of Agriculture

An estimated 85.5 percent of American households were food secure throughout the entire year in 2010, meaning that they had access at all times to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members. The remaining households (14.5 percent) were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 5.4 percent with...

Read More

National and State-Level Estimates of Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Eligibles and Program Reach, 2011

By United States Department of Agriculture

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides supplemental nutritious foods, nutrition education (including breastfeeding promotion and support), and referrals to health care and other social services at no charge. WIC serves low-income pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5 who are at nutritional risk. Because...

Read More